SEMO RUNNERS


SEMO Running was established in 2011 to provide a history of running and road racing in the Southeast Missouri area. The site is intended to be for and by any and all area runners. If you would like to post your own "personal experience" of any race, please Comment. SEMO Running asks only two things: (1) be respectful of other runners by not posting any negative personal comments, and (2) please sign your name, or commonly known nickname, to your post.


Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Harvest Festival 5K

Corning, AR -- October 23, 2010
(Results @ Ridge Rider Athletic Club: http://www.stearnsracetiming.com/Results/2010/10-23%20Harvest%20Festival/2010%20Overall%20Results.txt )

I had heard about this race for a couple of years. Bramlett verified it as a well organized race and an accurate, flat course. Brandon had a down week of XC so I decided to venture south to run against some ARK boys. Weather 65 degrees, sunny with a S wind of 12-15mph. We run the course before hand. It is definitely flat and appears accurate. My garmin shows 3.13 miles at the end of the race.

About a 100 people line up to run and I take off with the lead pack of 5 HS kids. The leader and eventual winner is easy to spot. He is about 6' tall, has a mohawk, and the words "Pack Leader" on the back of his lime-green shirt. I end up running my fastest 5K of the year with a 17:31, good for 2nd OA. Bramlett also runs a fast race and ends up 5th OA with a 18:30 finish. Two old men were pretty happy with their performances. Topped the day off with an awesome meal at Bram's grandmother's house prior to heading back north. It is a good out-of-state run to consider.
-KHammes

Meeting up "south of the border" this weekend with Kevin Hammes to face off against some Arkansas competition.  This race starts and finishes in front of my old elementary school classroom, and course runs in front of my 96 year old grandmother's house.  It is the only time she gets to watch me race, and seeing me race is the only way I can convince her that I'm this skinny on purpose.  Course is flat and fast, the hardware is awesome, and race usually draws large group of high school runners along with some of the top masters runners from Jonesboro and Paragould.  Today is perfect for racing.  I'd not rested properly after the half marathon, and tweeked a hamstring during my hill repeat workout on 10/15.  Hoping to get through this morning without problems.  Luckily, all the parts worked and things went well start to finish.  We both ran two of our best 5K times in months.
-KBramlett

About 100 runners start from Corning Central Elementary.

Kevin Hammes: 2nd Overall

Kevin Bramlett: 5th Overall

No comments:

Post a Comment