My friend Kevin Bramlett and I travel south of the Missouri border again for this race. Quickly becoming one of my favorite places to run. Accurate course, flat as a pancake and nice people. This is the second year in a row that I have entered the run. KBramlett has been coming to the race for several additional years.
The weather was perfect. It was 38 degrees with no wind when getting to town. Almost 50 degrees with a light 5-7 mph wind at the start of the race. 73 people are lined up for the starting gun - well, the police cruiser with the kid yelling "on your marks, get set, GO!"
This race starts quickly. About 7-8 guys sprint out for the first 150 meters. They soon realize the pace is a little quick and slow down. I move into the lead at around the 500m mark and work on relaxing for the first mile. Mile splits are 5:24/5:35/5:32/:41 sec for the last .13 miles. Come across the Stearns Racing mat in 17:14 for a PR run. Turn around and watch as Kevin Bramlett finishes strong with a 18:19. Shannon McDowell and Shannon Box are next across the finish line with sub-20 min runs.
Special recognition given to 60 year old Donald Cavenaugh of Walnut Ridge, ARK for his 9th place overall finish in a great time of 21:33. Congratulations Donald.
This is a great race and one I would strongly recommend to others as a well organized event with an accurate course. The chip timing by Stearns Race Timing is a bonus and they provide a nice finish line area with results quickly posted for everyone to check out.
TOP 10 FINISHERS:
- Kevin Hammes, 46, Scott City, MO 17:14
- Kevin Bramlett, 50, Jackson, MO 18:19
- Shannon McDowell, 35, Paragould, ARK 19:40
- Shannon Box, 38, Batesville, ARK 19:56
- Drake Arnold, 16, Paragould, ARK 20:27
- Brady McPherson, 15, Piggott, ARK 20:47
- Jared Hicks, 41, Poplar Bluff, MO 20:54
- Francisco Salinas, 25, Paragould, ARK 21:09
- Donald Cavenaugh, 60, Walnut Ridge, ARK 21:33
- Robert Thompson, 40, Paragould, ARK 21:54
Top Female Finisher was Crystal Cossey, 37, Corning ARK with a 23:08.