1997 Edition of Cape's longest distance event. Another fast field with top 10 men finishers all coming in under 80 min mark. Randy Starr again led the field with a outstanding finish time of just under 68 minutes and topped the second place finisher by nearly a minute. Cape Girardeau runners showed well with 3 runners in the top ten. Marvin Zeman of Carbondale, Ill rounded out the top 20 with a solid 1:26:03 at 49 years of age. Marc Romine, age 42, was the top Master's finisher.
Top Ten Men
1. Randy Starr, Jefferson City, MO - 1:07:58
2. Jamie Burnam, Joplin, MO - 1:08:57
3. Jay Orr, Manchester - 1:11:16
4. Marc Romine, Holts Summit, MO - 1:13:35
5. Jeff Janes, Murphysboro, IL - 1:13:55
6. Gary Holda, Carbondale, IL - 1:15:54
7. Michael Sullivan, Cape Girardeau - 1:18:18
8. Ron Keller, Cape Girardeau - 1:18:24
9. Terry McDowell, Cape Girardeau - 1:18:44
10.Phil Wahlbrink, Eldon -1:19:38
The women's field was led by local distance star Bernadette Huston who finished 23rd overall in the field of 171 runners.
Top 5 Women
1. Bernadette Huston, Cape Girardeau 1:27:14
2. Trina Graham, Cape Girardeau 1:31:21
3. Gail Ford, St. Louis 1:32:36
4. Sarah Jost, St. Louis 1:34:10
5. Sue Pennington, Jefferson City 1:37:33
Greg Cox of Roanoke, Texas ventured up and took first overall with a competitive race with one of Cape's best rising stars Bryan Kelpe. Both runners broke the tape with sub-17 min runs. 53 runners competed in the 5K event.
Top 5 Finishers
1. Greg Cox 16:23
2. Bryan Kelpe 16:32
3. Jason Zallares 17:33
4. Bill Rutledge 17:45
5. Kevin Hammes 17:58
Top 5 Women
1. Linda Mattingly 21:21
2. Jennifer Langston 22:07
3. Diana Hays 23:13
4. Candace Wiggin 23:16
5. Holli Carman 23:18
Ron Ruminer, 56 of Evansville, Indiana won the City of Roses One Mile race in 6:18. He doubled up as he ran the 5K earlier in the day and placed 14th overall with a time of 20:43.