SEMO RUNNERS


SEMO Running was established in 2011 to provide a history of running and road racing in the Southeast Missouri area. The site is intended to be for and by any and all area runners. If you would like to post your own "personal experience" of any race, please Comment. SEMO Running asks only two things: (1) be respectful of other runners by not posting any negative personal comments, and (2) please sign your name, or commonly known nickname, to your post.


Saturday, October 23, 1993

Cape Girardeau Half Marathon/5K

This was the first half marathon I had attempted and it was definitely a learning experience.  Being a newbie to the SE Missouri area I thought this race looked challenging.  Knowing little about long distance training, I had the assumption that if I could run 10 miles I could race a half marathon so I did my long runs up to 10 miles.  Needless to say, during the race itself, I felt pretty good up to the 10 mile mark - the last 5K was grueling and I had to take the next day of work off because my feet hurt badly.  However, I was hooked on distance racing.  I finished in 1:23:12 and ninth overall but first place in the 25-29 age group. 

The "Starr" of the day was Randy Starr of Jefferson City, Missouri who ventured down to set a new course record in a time of 1:09:10.  He was followed by Marc Romine in 1:12:33, David Baker in 1:14:38, Kenny McFerron in 1:16:20 and Farron Toler in 1:18:37 to round out the top 5 overall finishers. 

Barbara Mueller won the women's Overall title with a 1:31:01 time. 

The 5K winners were Sammy Shah in 17:22 and Misty Dubman in 21:49, both Cape Girardeau residents.

- KHammes

1 comment:

  1. Those are some smoking times. First half marathon in 1:23 is unreal.

    ReplyDelete